Theme 2: How are climate and atmospheric composition regulated on time scales up to a million years?
The projects in this theme have compiled data from multiple sources to give a global picture of changes over different timescales of various aspects of the Earth system, such as the coverage of vegetation and ice, the marine biota, atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and dust, and precipitation. Comparing these reconstructions with climate model simulations has helped to validate the climate models.
- PalaeoQUMP: Using palaeodata to reduce uncertainties in climate prediction
- Quaternary QUEST: Regulation of atmospheric carbon dioxide on glacial-interglacial timescales and its coupling to climate change
- QUEST Deglaciation: Climate and biogeochemical cycles during the last deglaciation
- DESIRE: Dynamics of the Earth System and the Ice-Core Record
- Dynamics of the PETM: Relevance of the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum to future global change
Palaeo Data Synthesis for QUEST Theme 2